Fairfax, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Fairfax Jail
Old Town Fairfax
The original “gaol” (1802) burned down in 1884. The Alexandria jail was used until this building was completed. The last jailer, Mr. William F. Lowe, and his family lived in the front quarters of this building until 1954. The structure is of the Italianate architecture.
Location. 38° 50.78′ N, 77° 18.459′ W. Marker is in Fairfax, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Virginia Route 236) and West Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10459 Main Street, Fairfax VA 22030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fairfax Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfax County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Corcoran (within shouting distance of this marker); Monument to John Q. Marr (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tribute to The Men of Fairfax County (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fairfax Court House Joshua Gunnell House (about 400 feet away); Efe Quality House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,384 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on March 15, 2008. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on March 15, 2008.