Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
(University of South Carolina)
Location. 33° 59.872′ N, 81° 1.695′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Sumter Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located University South Carolina Campus in the "Horseshoe" southside- entrance from Sumter Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rutledge College (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Rutledge College (within shouting distance of this marker); Legare College (within shouting distance of this marker); Pinckney College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCutchen House (about 300 feet away); Site where James Dickey Wrote Deliverance (about 300 feet away); Site of Original President's House 1807 (about 400 feet away); The L. Marion Gressette Euphradian Society Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding President's House. National Register of Historic Places:
Old Campus District, University of South Carolina (added 1970 - - #70000596)
Bounded by Pendleton, Sumter, Pickens, and Green Sts. , Columbia
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Mills,Robert, et al.
♦ Architectural Style: Early Republic
♦ Area of Significance: Education, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
♦ Historic Sub-function: College, Monument/Marker
♦ Current Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
♦ Current Sub-function: College, Monument/Marker
(University of South Carolina
Also see . . . Presidentís House at the University of South Carolina ( Both first and present). The current Presidentís House dates to 1854, when it was built as a residential duplex for faculty members and their families. It is situated on the south side of the Horseshoe, the Universityís original campus from 1805 that now is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 300 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.