Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
By the Grace of God, “A building about thirty feet square unpainted inside and out, with no steeple or bell without and no stove within” was erected on this place in 1675 to serve as both a community church, town hall and burial ground on land granted to the town of Woodbridge under terms of a charter dated June 1, 1669 by Charles II King of England.
On September 10, 1710 the community church was admitted to the Philadelphia Presbytery. In 1803 a new building was erected. The foundation of the present sanctuary is the original 1803 foundation. Major renovations to the 1803 building were completed in 1875 and 1972 resulting in its present appearance. In recognition of its historical significance, this church and its cemetery were entered onto the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on January 25, 2008 and onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2008.
Location. 40° 33.711′ N, 74° 16.416′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Rahway Avenue and Freeman Street, on the right when traveling north on Rahway Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barron Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barron Estate (about 300 feet away); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 300 feet away); Barron Arts Center (about 300 feet away); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 235 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.