Claude in Armstrong County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles H. Roan
Marine Private First Class
—(Aug. 16, 1923 - Sept. 18, 1944) —
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 817.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Medal of Honor Recipients marker series.
Location. 35° 7.968′ N, 101° 22.824′ W. Marker is in Claude, Texas, in Armstrong County. Marker can be reached from County Route 14 one mile north of U.S. 287, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Claude Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Claude TX 79019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claude Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong County Jail Early Sheriffs (approx. 1.9 miles away); "The Claude News" (approx. 2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Claude (approx. 2 miles away); Charles Howard Roan (approx. 2 miles away); The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891 (approx. 2 miles away); Boy Scout Troop No. 17 (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claude.
Regarding Charles H. Roan. His name is on the "Wall of the Missing" ABMC Cemetery, Manila, Philippine Islands.
MEDAL OF HONOR CITATION
Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. Born: 16 August 1923, Claude, Tex. Accredited to. Texas. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 2d Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu, Palau Islands, 18 September 1944. Shortly after his leader ordered a withdrawal upon discovering that the squad was partly cut off from their company as a result of the rapid advance along an exposed ridge
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.