Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Keystone Hall

 
 
Keystone Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. Keystone Hall Marker
Inscription. Although Harrisburg was designated State Capital in 1810 and has had a State Capitol Building since 1822, it was not until just prior to the Civil War in 1858 that an official Governor's residence was procured. prior to that time, Pennsylvania Governors obtained their own residences, mostly on Front Street from which the affairs of the Office were conducted. The first Executive Mansion stood at 111 S. Second Street, just south of Chestnut Street, and was occupied by only two Governors: William Fisher Packer and Andrew Gregg Curtin. In 1864, the Commonwealth purchased a three-story brick townhouse at Front and Barbara Streets for use as a new Executive Residence. Andrew Curtin was its first occupant. Realizing that the house was too small for State receptions, Curtin's successor, John White Geary, added in 1867 a three-story brick twin to the original house next door. in the late 1880's Governor James A. Beaver declaring that the two brick townhouses were too old fashioned architecturally unified the two facades through the application of an ornate Queen Anne-styled brownstone facade and named the building "Keystone Hall." The mansion continued as the home of Pennsylvania's Chief Executives until it was demolished in 1960 when plans were afoot to build a new Governor's Mansion, now located at Front and Maclay Streets.
Top Photo
1905
1905 Photo in marker. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. 1905 Photo in marker.
Postcard view of Keystone Hall from Riverfront Park with Barbara Street at left.
Bottom Photo
1960 view of Keystone Hall just prior to demolition.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.671′ N, 76° 53.226′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Barbara Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Executive Mansion ( here, next to this marker); William Maclay ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Marcus Reno Residence and Governorsí Home ( about 400 feet away); The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House ( about 400 feet away); William Maclay Mansion ( about 500 feet away); J. Donald Cameron Mansion ( about 500 feet away); J. Donald Cameron ( about 500 feet away); St. Michaelís Lutheran Church ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Related markers.
1960 Photo on marker. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
3. 1960 Photo on marker.
Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Harrisburg markers related to the Governors' Residences
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,523 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement