Humble in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This area, known as the Moonshine Hill section of the great Humble oil field, became the site of a boom town. Within months of the 1905 discovery, the population of the Moonshine Hill settlement increased to 10,000. Early operations associated with the site included the Moonshine Oil Company of Walter Sharp, Ed Prather, and Howard R. Hughes.
Although tents comprised most of the early structures, Moonshine Hill eventually included a church, school, postal station, stores, hotels, and saloons. Despite three separate boom eras, the last occurring in 1929, Moonshine Hill declined as a community. Its brief existence, however, had a dramatic impact on the economic development of Humble and Houston.
Location. 29° 59.971′ N, 95° 14.03′ W. Marker is in Humble, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1960 0.3 miles east of Moonshine Hill Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Humble TX 77338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lambrecht's Artesian Well (approx. 1.4 miles away); Humble Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 1.8 miles away); City of Humble (approx. 2 miles away); New Caney (approx. 9.7 miles away).
More about this marker. Be careful, this is a heavily trafficked highway. Approach the marker from the east. There's a small pull-off immediately past the marker.
Regarding Moonshine Hill. Humble Oil and Refining Company which later marked gasoline as Esso and Enco then merged with Standard Oil of New Jersey and became Exxon began in Humble, Texas and Moonshine Hill was part of it's original oil fields.
Also see . . . Moonshine Hill in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 772 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.