Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building
During World War I, a national representative from the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) worked with Jones to open a recreation center in 1917 in the Masonic building at 806 Clay. Following the war, the center applied to Houston's YWCA for branch status, which was given in 1920. The Blue Triangle Branch, YWCA, offered athletic, musical and educational programs for girls. In 1921, it opened a boarding house, which grew throughout the decade. During the Great Depression, the center closed the residence, but services expanded, helping hundreds of women and girls find work.
In the 1940s, the Blue Triangle YWCA began plans to build a new center. A group of women donated this site, and construction began in 1950 on the building designed by noted Houston architects Hiram A. Salisbury and Birdsall P. Briscoe. The architects chose a Transitional style, showing late Art
The Blue Triangle YWCA was an important part of the lives of the community's women and girls. Several women, including Lilla B. Love and Elizabeth E. Stevens, willed property to the organization in continued support of its mission. The Blue Triangle ended its YWCA affiliation in 1998. Restored and reopened by a community group, the new center offers youth and adult programs, and provides space for other groups.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12935.)
Location. 29° 44.138′ N, 95° 21.441′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of McGowen Street and Sauer Street, on the right when traveling west on McGowen Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benjamin Apartments (approx. 1.1 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 1.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Houston Fire Station No. 7 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Daughters of the Republic of Texas (approx. 1.4 miles away); Annunciation Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Annunciation Church (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . .
1. Blue Triangle Branch, Y. W. C. A. History. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Blue Triangle Website. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 297 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.