Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

J. Donald Cameron Mansion

 
 
J. Donald Cameron Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. J. Donald Cameron Mansion Marker
Inscription. During the midst of the Civil War fury in 1863 would rise this magnificent residence, situated directly across this street, which was purchased in 1870 by J. Donald Cameron (1833-1918), son of Simon Cameron. The elder Cameron had served as President Lincoln's first Secretary of War during the early years of "The Rebellion," and was the organizer of one of the most powerful and lasting state political machines in U.S. history. Son J. Donald continued the Cameron legacy as Secretary of War to President Ulysses Grant and later as Pennsylvania U.S. Senator from 1877 to 1897. Grant visited this home while President and was reportedly seen smoking cigars while relaxing on the side veranda facing State Street. Having married the daughter of James McCormick, first president of Dauphin Deposit Bank, J. Donald Cameron expanded the family business interests under the Cameron-McCormick clans. He was involved in manufacturing and railroad operations and, with his father, helped to get Rutherford B. Hayes and James Garfield elected to The White House. He also helped found many of Harrisburg's public and cultural institutions. J. Donald's home, designed in the classic Second Empire style, remained in the family until his last surviving daughter, Mary Cameron died in 1959.
Photo
1880 view of the J. Donald Cameron Mansion showing that little
Cameron Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. Cameron Mansion
has changed in the time since.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.728′ N, 76° 53.297′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and State Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Maclay Mansion (here, next to this marker); J. Donald Cameron (here, next to this marker); The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Maclay (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Michaelís Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Former) (within shouting distance of this marker); Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Civic Club of Harrisburg (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Related marker. Click
J. Donald Cameron Mansion image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, May 31, 2010
3. J. Donald Cameron Mansion
Today this mansion houses law offices.
here for another marker that is related to this marker. J. Donald Cameron marker.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkGovernmentIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitics
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,206 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on May 31, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement