Daleville in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Half a mile west stood Greenfield, the home of Col. William Preston. According to local tradition, Stephen Rentfroe constructed a fort there in the 1740s. In 1759, Preston bought the property from Rentfroe and soon built a house that evolved into a large log-and-frame L-shaped dwelling; a portico supported by two-story columns sheltered the front. Preston became a prominent frontier military leader during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) and the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). He also served in the Virginia House of Burgesses (1765-1771). Greenfield, later the home of Gov. James P. Preston, burned in 1959.
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-30.)
Location. 37° 26.083′ N, 79° 54.213′ W. Marker is in Daleville, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is on Roanoke Road (U.S. 220) south of International Parkway, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Daleville VA 24083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort William (approx. 1.6 miles away); Daleville College (approx. 2.3 miles away); Santillane (approx. Cloverdale Furnace (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Carolina Road (approx. 4½ miles away); Breckinridge Mill (approx. 4½ miles away); Fincastle (approx. 4.6 miles away); Botetourt County Courthouse Fire (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.