Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Burns in Harney County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Fort Harney

Oregon History

 
 
Fort Harney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 28, 2009
1. Fort Harney Marker
Inscription. Fort Harney, on the former Malheur Indian Reservation, was named for Gen. Wm. S. Harney, who took command of the Military Department of Oregon, Sept. 13, 1858. The fort was established Aug. 10, 1867, and became a permanent Military Post. By order of the President, the Fort Harney Military Reserve of 640 acres was created on Jan. 28, 1876. On Sept. 13, 1882 the President restored to the public domain all of the Malheur Indian Reservation except 320 acres of the Fort Harney Military Reserve. And on Mar. 2, 1889, he restored the remaining 320 acres and the fort was abandoned. The fort was located about two and one-half miles north of this point.
 
Erected by State of Oregon.
 
Location. 43° 36.804′ N, 118° 49.308′ W. Marker is near Burns, Oregon, in Harney County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 20 and South Harney Road on U.S. 20. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burns OR 97720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. The Terrible Trail (here, next to this marker).
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative Americans
 
Fort Harney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 28, 2009
2. Fort Harney Marker
The Fort Harney marker is on the right and the Terrible Trail Marker is on the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   2. submitted on February 22, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement