Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Original Flagstaﬀ
where the American flag was first raised
Commodore John Drake Sloat
July, 7th 1846
taking possession of California in the name of
the United States of America
Later ceded to America
under the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
on February 2, 1848.
Erected 1997 by California State Park Commission and Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 36° 36.209′ N, 121° 53.611′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail. Touch for map. This marker is located at the flagstaff next to the northern corner of the Custom House. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Custom House (a few steps from this marker); Sloat's Landing (a few steps from this marker); Old Fisherman's Wharf (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Custom House Monterey Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey Customhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); John “Bricky” Crivello (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Categories. • Notable Events • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 383 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on March 2, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.