Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Burning of the Brig “Peggy Stewart”

 
 
Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., March 15, 2008
1. Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart" Marker
Inscription.
Near this spot
which was then the shore of the bay,
the Brig “Peggy Stewart” was burned
by her owner, “Anthony Stewart.”
October 19, 1774
To pacify the indignation of the
citizens roused by the payment of
duties on seventeen boxes of tea
imported in the brig.
—————
Erected in conformity with the
Act of Congress of March 3, 1903.

 
Erected 1903.
 
Location. 38° 58.975′ N, 76° 28.862′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Holloway Road and Simms Road, on the right when traveling south on Holloway Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy. A picture ID is required to enter the Academy grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Butler in Annapolis ( here, next to this marker); Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale ( within shouting distance of this marker); Japanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito ( within shouting distance of this marker);
Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., March 15, 2008
2. Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart" Marker
Norman Scott Natatorium ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vice Admiral William Porter Lawrence, USN ( about 300 feet away); Fort Severn and the United States Naval Academy ( about 400 feet away); Site of Old Fort Severn ( about 400 feet away); HMS Confiance Cannon ( about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
 
More about this marker. The marker, erected in 1903, is affixed to the side of Luce Hall. Luce Hall was completed in 1920. It is unclear where the marker was placed before Luce Hall was constructed.
 
Also see . . .
1. Burning of the Peggy Stewart. Includes a painting depicting the burning of the Peggy Stewart. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. The Peggy Stewart House. Anthony Stewart, an Annapolis merchant, owned this house from 1772-79. In 1774 Revolutionaries forced him to burn his ship, the Peggy Stewart, when he attempted to land a cargo of tea on which he had paid taxes. Five years later, he fled to England. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,061 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement