Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2013
1. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. The corner stone for Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church was laid on April 22, 1890. The church was consecrated on May 27, 1891. Anna Holden, the guiding force in the founding of St. Andrew’s, led a group that raised $3,000 to build the church. The Mangum, Bailey, Parr and Carruthers families were also among those who were active in the early life of the church. The land was purchased for $200 in 1888. Built in the traditional Gothic Revival style, the building is laid out in the shape of a cross. The eight medallions in the side windows, symbolizing the key elements of the Christian faith, are believed to have been purchased in England and given to St. Andrew’s by the Right Reverend Charles Todd Quintard, Bishop of Tennessee from 1867 to 1898. The “Jesus Window” over the altar was donated at construction by the Stith family of Holly Springs, Mississippi. The west “Bible” window was given by Mrs. Laura Baird. The transom window above the front doors features buckshot glass. The original brass bell, forged in Troy, New York, in 1891, hangs in the bell tower above the church and is still used to call parishioners to worship. In 1978, St. Andrew’s was elevated from mission to parish status.
 
Location. 35° 2.579′ N, 89° 39.991′ W. Marker
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2013
2. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker
is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on Mulberry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Walnut St, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church of Collierville (a few steps from this marker); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Collierville (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom Brooks Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Collierville United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Collierville, Tenn. (about 500 feet away); Collierville High School (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
 
Also see . . .  Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on February 11, 2013.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement