Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second Army Corps
Second Army Corps.
Major General E.V. Sumner, Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)
At daybreak of the 17th the three divisions of the 2d Corps were east of the Antietam: Sedgwick's Division moved, crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford and, advancing through the East Woods and Miller's Cornfield and the fields to the south, in column of brigades, crossed the Hagerstown Pike about a third of a mile north of this, entered the West Woods, and the right and center had reached the open ground beyond, when its advance was checked by Jackson's Command and the artillery of Stuart's Cavalry Division.
Gorman's Brigade was in first line, its left regiment, the 34th New York, a few yards west of the Dunkard Church and separated from the brigade by an interval of 940 yards from this and 610 yards west of the Hagerstown Pike. Dana's and Howard's Brigades were in second and third lines respectively. Their left flanks in the ravine and on the roll of ground 200 to 250 yards northwest of this and 280 to 300 yards west of the pike. In this position the left flank of the division was attacked and turned by McLaws' and Walker's Divisions and it was obliged to retreat northward to the fields and woods beyond D.R. Miller's.
(Second, continuation, tablet):
No. 116 Continued.
Richardson's Division crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford about 9:30 a.m. and, moving to the ravine beyond the high ground east of Roulett's, formed line of battle and advanced on French's left, engaging the Confederates in and beyond the Sunken Road or Bloody Lane. After a stubborn and sanguinary contest, in which it was supported by French's Division on its right, the enemy was forced back from the Bloody Lane to and beyond the Hagerstown Pike. An advance was made to the high ground overlooking the Piper House, which was soon withdrawn and the division bivouacked on the high ground southeast of Roulett's.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 116.)
Marker series. Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 28.526′ N, 77° 44.782′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike and Smoketown Road, on the right when traveling north on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike. Touch for map. Located at stop one of the driving tour of Antietam Battlefield, across the road from the Dunker Church in a tablet cluster. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twelfth Army Corps (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Twelfth Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Greene's Division, Twelfth Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Reserve Artillery, Longstreet's Command (here, next to this marker); 5th, 7th and 66th Ohio Infantry Monument (a few steps from this marker); Dunkard Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Destroy the Rebel Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Beacon of Peace (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Sumner's Corps. Command of the Second Corps was the height of Sumner's 44 year military career. He served as a Major General at Antietam. Sumner died the following March awaiting reassignment to the Western Theater. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Edwin Vose Sumner. Edwin Vose Sumner (January 30, 1797 – March 21, 1863) was a career United States Army officer who became a Union Army general and the oldest field commander of any Army Corps on either side during the American Civil War. (Submitted on October 15, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on October 15, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on October 15, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.