Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Twelfth Army Corps

Goodrich's Brigade, Green's Division

 
 
Goodrich's Brigade Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
1. Goodrich's Brigade Tablet
General Greene's name is misspelled on the tablet header.
Inscription.
U.S.A.
Twelfth Army Corps.
Goodrich's Brigade, Green's Division,

Col. W.B. Goodrich, 60th New York, Commanding.
Organization.
3d Delaware Infantry, 60th New York Infantry,
Purnell Legion, Maryland Infantry, 78th New York Infantry.
(September 17, 1862.)

When nearing the East Woods, early on the 17th, Goodrich's Brigade was detached from its Division and ordered to the assistance of Doubleday's Division engaged north of this. The Purnell Legion was detached near D.R. Miller's and did not participate with its Brigade in the action near this point, but was engaged with its Division west of the Dunkard Church. After the repulse of the Brigade near this point, the 78th New York was detached.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 114.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 28.525′ N, 77° 44.781′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike and Smoketown Road, on the right when traveling north on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike. Touch for map. Located
Twelfth Army Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
2. Twelfth Army Corps Marker
at stop one of the driving tour of Antietam Battlefield, across the road from the Dunker Church in a tablet cluster. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greene's Division, Twelfth Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Second Army Corps (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Twelfth Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Reserve Artillery, Longstreet's Command (here, next to this marker); 5th, 7th and 66th Ohio Infantry Monument (here, next to this marker); Dunkard Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Destroy the Rebel Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Beacon of Peace (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow Goodrich's Brigade by Tablets.
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Purnell Legion. The Purnell Legion enlisted in late 1861 with nine companies of infantry, two batteries of artillery, and two cavalry companies.
Tablet Cluster Opposite the Dunker Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
3. Tablet Cluster Opposite the Dunker Church
Five numbered tablets, with one continuation tablet, stand in front of the Dunker Church on the east side of the old Pike. These are, from furthest from the camera, Tyndale's Brigade (53), Second Army Corps (116), continuation tablet for 116, Goodrich's Brigade (114), Greene's Division (51), and Reserve Artillery of Longstreet's Command (306).
After February 1861, the companies were broken, with the infantry remaining as a regimental formation. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Twelfth Army Corps Marker<br>Third From the Right image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. Twelfth Army Corps Marker
Third From the Right
Col. William Bingham Goodrich (1821-1862) image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
5. Col. William Bingham Goodrich (1821-1862)
Purnell Legion's Attack into the West Woods image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
6. Purnell Legion's Attack into the West Woods
Looking at the intersection of Dunker Church Road (Old Hagerstown Pike) and Smoketown Road. The old Hagerstown Pike ran on the left side of the photo to the north. At around 10:30 a.m. Purnell's Legion advanced down the north side of the Smoketown Road and into the woods north of the Dunker Church, in support of Tyndale's Brigade. Greene's Division was terribly exposed at that point and retired following another round of bloody fighting.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 696 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 15, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on October 15, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6. submitted on March 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement