Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Monterey Customhouse

 
 
Monterey Customhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
1. Monterey Customhouse Marker
Inscription. Constructed by the Mexican government during 1927 and 1841 to collect customs duties from foreign shipping when Monterey was the capital of this northern province, and customs duties were Alta California’s principal source of revenue. United States Customhouse from 1848 until 1867. This plaque is dedicated to all customs officers who have served in this building, and in honor and recognition of the U.S. Custom Service Bicentennial.

Presented by
Quintin L. Villanueva, Jr.
Regional Commissioner
U.S. Customs Service
Pacific Region
August 18, 1988

(Seal of the U.S. Custom Service)
 
Erected 1988 by U.S. Customs Service.
 
Location. 36° 36.179′ N, 121° 53.599′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail is a foot/bicycle path along the Monterey Bay waterfront. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Custom House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Custom House (within
Monterey Customhouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. Monterey Customhouse and Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Monterey Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Original Flagstaff (within shouting distance of this marker); Sloat's Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fisherman's Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .  Monterey's Custom House. A tongue of land to the north of the Custom House was used by Larkin as the approach to a wharf of rock-filled cribwork. This was completed in 1846. No major additions were made to the Custom House after 1846. The building was restored in the early 1900s by the Native Sons of the Golden West, and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on February 15, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Government
 
Monterey Customhouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
3. Monterey Customhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement