Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Morrison Hall - Old Barn
Once Toccoa Falls Institute was up and running, the Forrests knew they would have to find a way to feed the school's growing population. Because they wanted Toccoa Falls to be self-supporting, the began to add farm animals to the campus. Richard Forrest hired L.K. Brubaker to be the institute's business manager. One of his tasks was to build a barn on a site near where the Haddock Inn was located.
The barn was completed in 1913, a short time after the inn burned. By 1941, the barn's future was in question. Health officials condemned the structure saying it was not adequate for the growing number of Guernsey cattle that the school owned. However, this was not the end of the "old barn," as it was now being called. College officials decided to gut the structure, renovate it, and convert it into a boy's dormitory. The new dorm was named Morrison Hall in honor of a Bible College student, Vance Morrison, who died in a plan crash along with the pilot, Don LeTourneau.
Dr. Forrest always enjoyed telling people, "The building was condemned for cows, so we put boys in it!" An up-to-date laundry was located downstairs in one wing of the first floor and an apartment for workers was built in the other wing. Upstairs, which originally was the hayloft, is where 24 boys lived along with the residence supervisor. Before the
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by Raymond C. (1969) and M. Carolyn (Shiffler, 1964) Allen.
Erected 2007 by Raymond C. and M. Carolyn Allen.
Location. 34° 35.55′ N, 83° 21.55′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of Bandy Drive and Forrest Drive, on the right when traveling south on Bandy Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandy Music Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Staley Cottage (about 300 feet away); Ring Music Hall (about 400 feet away); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (about 500 feet away); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (about 500 feet away); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 500 feet away); Stewart Hall (about 500 feet away); Woerner World Missions Center (about 500 feet away); The Tents (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Also see . . . Toccoa Falls College (Submitted on February 18, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.