Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The One Room Schoolhouse
Originally located in China Springs, near Aiken, and believed to have been built in the 1890's this schoolhouse was given to the Aiken County Historical Commission by Mrs. Guerin Hermann of Sandersville, Georgia in 1975.
The one room schoolhouse preservation was an Aiken County Bicentennial project of the Aiken County Historical Commission and the Pine Needle Garden Club in 1976.
Under the direction of Mrs. Arthur (Nancy N.) Courtney, chairperson on the Aiken County Historical Commission and director of the Aiken County Museum the schoolhouse was moved from China Springs to a location near the Aiken County Vocational school on Highway 17. The restoration included the addition of a stoop and belfry to the original structure.
In 1984 the schoolhouse was moved to its present location on the grounds of The Aiken County Historical Museum.
Location. 33° 33.313′ N, 81° 43.47′ W. Marker is in Aiken, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker can be reached from South Boundary Avenue SW near Newberry Street SW. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Aiken County Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 433 Newberry Street Southwest, Aiken SC 29801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Frederick Ergle Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Trough and Drinking Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Coker Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Hitchcock Woods (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aiken County Museum (about 400 feet away); Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882 (about 400 feet away); Aiken County Courthouse Bell (about 400 feet away); Hofmann (about 500 feet away); Whitney Park (about 800 feet away); Aiken Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 22, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on March 28, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.