Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Allen Griffin was the vital force in founding the History and Art Association, the Community Foundation for Monterey County, and Monterey Peninsula College.
He used his editorial skills and influence to preserve Monterey’s historic adobes, to advocate beautiful architecture and landscaping, to promote education, and to improve race relations, among many other accomplishments.
The Herald was published in the adjacent chalkrock building from 1927 until 1953.
Location. 36° 35.878′ N, 121° 53.589′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is at the intersection of Pearl Street and Washington Street on Pearl Street. Touch for map. This marker is locate at Griffin Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Pearl Street, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stevenson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Louis Stevenson House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker Stevenson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherman Rose Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Corning Winslow Black Studio (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Estrada Adobe (about 300 feet away); Casa Abrego (about 400 feet away); First Newspaper in California (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.