Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hill County Jail
Constructed in 1893, this building serves as the third jail for Hill County. It was designed by W. C. Dodson of Waco, architect of the Hill County Courthouse, and built by the Brown County firm of Lovell and Wood. The brick and limestone structure reflects influences of the Victorian and medieval revival styles. Interior space includes living quarters in the front for the sheriff and jailer. Steel-clad prisoner cells are located in the back section. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2482.)
Location. 32° 0.736′ N, 97° 7.801′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on North Waco Street (State Highway 81) near Fancher Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Waco Street, Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hill County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Hill County Confederate Memorial (about 500 feet away); Katy Depot (about 500 feet Courthouse History (about 500 feet away); Site of Old Lexington Village (about 600 feet away); Bond's Alley (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Bank Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Regarding Hill County Jail. National Register of Historic Places:
Hill County Jail (added 1981 - - #81000631)
North Waco Street , Hillsboro
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Dodson,W.C.
♦ Architectural Style: No Style Listed
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Government
♦ Historic Sub-function: Correctional Facility
♦ Current Function: Government
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 285 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on September 30, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.