Long Valley in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Obadiah Latourette Grist and Saw Mill
Built circa 1750, and owned by Phillip Weise, the mill was essential to the economy and development of German Valley and the surrounding agricultural community. For much of its history, it was the most successful business in the village, grinding grain and producing flour and animal feed. A saw mill was located behind the grist mill during the 1800's.
Originally powered by two water wheels, the mill was converted to turbine power by owner Obadiah LaTourette in the 1870's. The milling operation continued until the early 1940's. Most of the machinery remains, reflecting the history of milling over 200 years.
In 1991, The Washington Township Land Trust purchased the building and embarked upon its restoration with the aid of volunteers, grants and generous donations.
Location. 40° 47.076′ N, 74° 46.713′ W. Marker is in Long Valley, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on E. Mill Street (New Jersey Route 24), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Long Valley NJ 07853, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured German Valley Bridge (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); German Valley (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named German Valley (about 600 feet away); German Valley School Bell (about 600 feet away); Old Stone Union Church (about 700 feet away); Schooley's Mountain Historic District (approx. 2.2 miles away); Washington Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hacklebarney (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Valley.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.