Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Forrest Hall - Ball Field
When the school purchased a cow in 1912, Ora Frost, the first student to enroll at the Toccoa Falls site, was enlisted to do the milking. At first, Evelyn Forrest joined in to help her, but soon other students volunteered for the job. The cow was milked outside - even in the rain and without shelter. Later a small cowshed was constructed to protect the Institute's first cow. The Forrest's goal was to build a school that was self-sustaining, especially when it came to the supply of food.
The land where Forrest Hall now stands was graded for a recreation field. Students played baseball at this location along with basketball. Tennis and volleyball were played on the area below where the administration building now stands. There also was a natural spring and well house on this location - the Institute's main source for water following the Haddock Inn fire. Every November at Thanksgiving, the collage celebrated Founder's Day with a large barbeque on this field. Kelly Barnes along with Dr. and Mrs. Forrest gathered the students for lunch and a time of fun.
It was on this day in 1961 that ground breaking for Forrest Hall took place. The new men's dormitory was constructed in phases or wings. After the completion of A wing, school officials immediately began plans to build B wing, which was completed in 1964. The dorm
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by Wayne (1969) and Donna Gardner. Wayne served as the sixth president of Toccoa Falls College.
Erected 2007 by Wayne and Donna Gardner.
Location. 34° 35.6′ N, 83° 21.483′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Chapel Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (here, next to this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Stewart Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building Woerner World Missions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Bandy Music Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); LeTourneau Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.