Near Williamstown in Jefferson County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Kansa Indians (Kaw) came to this region from the forested southeast. They lived in permanent longhouses covered with bark and cultivated corn, beans, and squash. In their western hunting grounds they captured buffalo and other large animals. By the mid 18th century the Kansa considered most of northern and eastern Kansas their home. Through contact with Europeans and Americans, the Kansa contracted foreign diseases that had a devastating effect on their population. In 1825 the Kansa were forced to agree to a treaty that reduced their land to 10 percent of its original size. Two years later the government established an agency to protect the interests of the United States 2.5 miles southeast of here. It was the goal of the government to change the Kansa into American farmers, stripping them of their traditional way of life. In 1846 the Kansa were again forced to move, this time to an even smaller reservation near Council Grove.
After the death of his mother U.S. Vice President Charles Curtis lived on the Kansa reservation with his motherís family. Today the Kaw Nation is headquartered in Oklahoma. The state of Kansas is named for the Kansa Indians.
Erected 2012 by the State of Kansas. (Marker Number 95.)
Marker series. Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 39° 4.133′ N, 95° 20.738′ W. Marker is near Williamstown, Kansas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on U.S. 24 ĺ mile west of U.S. 59, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at a roadside turnout. Marker is in this post office area: Perry KS 66073, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lane University (approx. 3 miles away); Sheriff Samuel J. Jones (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lecompton Constitution Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lecompton, Capital of Kansas Territory (approx. 5.8 miles away); Coon Point (approx. 5.8 miles away); Kansas River Flood Levels (approx. 7.8 miles away); First United Brethren in Christ Church in Kansas (approx. 8.4 miles away); Lawrence Visitor Information Center (approx. 8.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced old historical marker 95 "Kansa Indian Agency"
Also see . . .
1. The Kaw Nation Official Site. (Submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Kaw Mission State Historic Site, Council Grove KS. (Submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Native Americans • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on October 6, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 3. submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.