St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Spanish Occupation of Georgia
Began in 1566 and virtually ended
1686 when the Spanish garrisons
and missions in the face of
English intrusion from Carolina
withdrew south of St. Marys River
Erected 1938 by Department of Natural Resources, Division of State Parks Historic Sites & Monuments, St Marys Garden Club.
Location. 30° 43.564′ N, 81° 32.836′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Osborne Street (Georgia Route 40) and Dillingham Street, in the median on Osborne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of St. Marys (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 (about 500 feet away); Washington Pump & Oak (about 500 feet away); George Washington Oak Tree Site Clark-Bessant House (about 700 feet away); First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840 (approx. ¼ mile away); Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Regarding Spanish Occupation of Georgia. In Georgia prior to the eighteenth century, the Spanish presence also included Catholic missionaries, who established Santa Catalina de Guale and other short-lived missions at points along Georgia's coast from 1568 through 1684. These missions played a key role in assimilating the Native American populations of the region into the colonial system.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Spanish Occupation of Georgia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.