Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia Heights in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Campus to Army Camps and Back Again

 

—Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark —

 
Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
1. Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker
Inscription. President Monroe singed a charter in 1821 that established Columbian College on a site north of Florida Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets, Columbian College moved to Foggy Bottom in 1912 and became George Washington University, but the original campus area continued to be called "College Hill."

During the Civil War, the Union Army commandeered the farmland on which Meridian Hill Park would eventually be built. The Army built camps there with names like Cameron, Relief, Carver, and Barclay. As the war continued, numerous hospitals, including Columbian and Mount Pleasant, were established in the same area.

After the Civil War, Meridian Hill became a middle-class African American neighborhood. Wayland Seminary, which had opened in Foggy Bottom to train young African American men and women as preachers and teachers for the South, moved to a building at Chapin and 15th Streets in 1875. The school operated there until merging with Richmond Theological Seminary in 1899 to form Virginia Union University in Richmond. Booker T. Washington, noted African American political leader,educator, orator, and author, was one of Wayland's distinguished alumni.

For more information go to: www.nps.gov/mehi

Captain Grover of New York's 76th Regiment wrote home in 1861, "We encamped in the edge of what must
Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
2. Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker
be in summer a beautiful grove, on the estate of Commodore Porter, a few rods only from his mansion now occupied as a hospital. But beautiful as was the situation... snow and mud, cold fingers and toes, empty stomachs and soiled cloths concealed every beauty, and compelled us to attend only the work of arranging the camp."
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 38° 55.383′ N, 77° 2.124′ W. Marker is in Columbia Heights, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street and Euclid Street, on the left when traveling north on 15th Street. Touch for map. The marker is at the northeast entrance to Meridian Hill Park just south of the intersection of Euclid Street and 15th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mansions, Parks, and People (within shouting distance of this marker); A Hilltop for Heroes and Horse Thieves (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Visionary and Park Champion (about 300 feet away); Creating the "City Beautiful" (about 300 feet away); Design Challenges (about 300 feet away);
Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
3. Campus to Army Camps and Back Again Marker
Park Designers (about 300 feet away); Life on the Park (about 300 feet away); Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia Heights.
 
Also see . . .  www.nps.gov/mehi. This URL appears on the Marker. (Submitted on March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansEducationWar, US Civil
 
The 7th New York image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
4. The 7th New York
Union troops of the 7th New York State Militia a Camp Cameron on Meridian Hill, 1861.
Carver Barracks image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
5. Carver Barracks
Carver Barracks surrounded the campus buildings of Columbian College.
Carver Barracks Hospital image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
6. Carver Barracks Hospital
The Carver Barracks later became Carver Barracks Hospital.
Wayland Seminary image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
7. Wayland Seminary
Wayland Seminary, 15th and Euclid sts., operated here until it merged into Virginia Union University in Richmond in 1899. (from the Life on the Park marker)
Map image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 2, 2013
8. Map
You Are Here.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement