Geneva in Adams County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Geneva Downtown Historic District
Adams County formed 1835. Geneva incorporation 1874 included early towns Alexander and Buffalo. During 1890s oil boom, population and businesses grew. Fire destroyed much of town 1895; Geneva Board of Trustees banned wooden buildings, mandated stone, iron, or brick buildings along part of Line Street.
By end of 1895, twenty-four new brick business buildings completed here. District (144-455 East Line Street) retains look of late 1800s commercial center because most buildings were constructed concurrently, as evidenced by architectural details. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 2002.
Erected 2006 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Adams County Community Foundation, and Geneva Proud / Geneva Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 01.2006.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 40° 35.529′ N, 84° 57.484′ W. Marker is in Geneva, Indiana, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Line St and High St, on the right when traveling west on E. Line St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Geneva IN 46740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Adams County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); West Grove (approx. 9.3 miles away); A Station on the Underground Railroad (approx. 10.8 miles away); Jay County W.W. I and W.W. II Honor Roll (approx. 11 miles away); Major General John P. C. Shanks (approx. 11 miles away); Jay County Veterans Honor Roll (approx. 11.2 miles away); Willshire, Ohio (approx. 13.9 miles away in Ohio); Golder Pottkotter Post Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.8 miles away in Ohio).
Also see . . . IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on March 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 478 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 3. submitted on April 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 4. submitted on March 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.