Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Coaling Station A
This is the approximate site of Coaling Station A established by the S.P.R.R. in the late 1880ís from which the City of Coalinga derived its name.
Erected 1984 by Coalinga Womenís Club & Native Daughters of the Golden West, Coalinga Parlor No. 270.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 36° 8.267′ N, 120° 21.714′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is on West Elm Street just east of 7th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on a rock base and is visible to the right of the Coalinga School 1908 sign. Marker is at or near this postal address: 267 West Elm Street, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Coaling Station A (a few steps from this marker); Richfield Service Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cheney Bros. Building (about 300 feet away); Amy Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crescent Meat Co. (approx. 0.2 miles 5th Street, Coalinga 1912 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sullivan Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Earthquake of 1983 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Coalinga. Located in Fresno County, Coalinga is one of the few cities that began as a mining town, and survived. Oil provided the community with over 100 years of relative prosperity, but it was the discovery of coal that inspired the name, Coalinga, when laid out by Southern Pacific Railroad engineers in 1891. (Submitted on March 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 298 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.