Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ross in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge

Corte Madera Creek

 

—Ross, California - March 20, 2011 —

 
Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
1. Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge Marker
Inscription. This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges District, eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The original bridge was completed on January 13, 1910 as part of a $12,500 bond issue approved by Ross voters 75-7 for the construction of five "concrete bridges to replace the present wooden bridges" throughout the Town. John Buck Leonard, a pioneer and leading designer of reinforced concrete bridges, was the engineer. The four "electroliers," which were installed on the original bridge in 1911, were funded by a donation from Ross resident Harriette deWitte Kittle. They were removed prior to demolition, recast and replaced on the current bridge.
 
Erected 2011.
 
Location. 37° 57.736′ N, 122° 33.403′ W. Marker is in Ross, California, in Marin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Lagunitas Road and Sylvan Lane, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ross CA 94957, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bradford House (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Log Cabin (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Belrose Theater
Lagunitas Road Bridge and Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
2. Lagunitas Road Bridge and Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here mounted to the concrete panel on the left of the foremost electrolier.
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Falkirk Community Cultural Center (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Gate House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Marin (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mission San Rafael Arcangel (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site of Birds Nest Glen (approx. 2.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. The Lagunitas Road Bridge Dedication. The Ross Property Owner's First Quarter 2011 Newsletter highlights the bridge dedication: "The March 20 dedication for our new Lagunitas Bridge was a coruscating event...." (Submitted on March 28, 2013.) 

2. R.I.P. Lagunitas Road Bridge ca. 1908 – 2010. The Friends of Corte Madera Creek's 2010 article presents a history of the old bridge and a preview of the new one. (Submitted on March 29, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts
 
Electrolier image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
3. Electrolier
The old bridge's most significant decorative elements, the electroliers and concrete railings, were retained in the new bridge to provide visual and historical continuity. (Electrolier is derived from electric chandelier.)
Closeup of the Historical Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
4. Closeup of the Historical Photo on Marker
This photo, from the collection of Ken Fineman, shows the original Lagunitas Road Bridge (Bridge No. 27C0071 in National Bridge Inventory jargon) .
Corte Madera Creek - Looking South from Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
5. Corte Madera Creek - Looking South from Bridge
Lagunitas Road Bridge - Looking North from Southeast Bank image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
6. Lagunitas Road Bridge - Looking North from Southeast Bank
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 27, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement