Tillman in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Great Swamp Baptist Church
This church, organized October 12, 1845, was the result of a clash in doctrines at nearby Sardis Baptist Church. Some in the congregation favored the primitive Baptist movement, but others, including Rev. John N. Youmans, favored a ministry based on missions. Seventeen members then left Sardis to form a new, more missionary church, with Rev. Youmans as their minister.
A brush arbor served as the first meeting place until a small one room frame sanctuary was built. A larger sanctuary was completed in 1909, and Sunday school rooms were added in 1925. Baptisms took place at "Old Dam" on the nearby stream until the 1950s. Great Swam Baptist Church called its first full-time minister in 1956. Church membership in 1998 exceeds 600.
Erected 1998 by Members of the Church. (Marker Number 27-13.)
Location. 32° 29.672′ N, 81° 1.221′ W. Marker is in Tillman, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of Malphrus Road (State Highway S-27-39) and Tarboro Road (State Highway S-27-22), on the right when traveling west on Malphrus Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tillman SC 29943, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Ridgeland Baptist Church ( approx. 1.9 miles away); Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse ( approx. 2.2 miles away); St. Paul's Methodist Church ( approx. 2.2 miles away); Ridgeland ( approx. 2.4 miles away); Gopher Tortoise Square ( approx. 2.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity ( approx. 3.6 miles away); Euhaw Baptist Church ( approx. 3.6 miles away); Grahamville ( approx. 3.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,527 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.