Picolata in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
“Pass Of The Salamatoto River”
Here where the St. Johns River narrows, was a natural crossing used by Indians, and later by the Spaniards, in pushing west. A Spanish fort, built in 1700, protected the crossing and trail that led to Apalache, near Tallahassee. From 1836 to 1870, a stage line, connecting with river steamers, ran from this point to St. Augustine.
Erected 1962 by St Johns County Historical Commission in Cooperation with Florida Board and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-86.)
Location. 29° 54.896′ N, 81° 35.579′ W. Marker is in Picolata, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 13 and Picolata Road (County Road 208), on the left when traveling east on County Road 13. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Bartram Trail (approx. half a mile away); Fort Fransisco De Pupo (approx. 4.9 miles away); William Bartram's Plantation (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 5.6 miles away); Green Cove Springs The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 7.6 miles away); Old Clay County Courthouse (approx. 7.6 miles away); Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Picolata. In 1765 and 1767 Picolata was the setting for important meetings between the leading Creek and Seminole chiefs and Governor James Grant and other British colonial officials. (Submitted on March 30, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 453 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 30, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.