Ridgeland in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paul's Methodist Church
This church, organized on 1890, is the oldest in Ridgland, with its origins in several area Methodist congregations before the Civil War. When Julius G. Sipple of Grahamville encouraged Methodists in Ridgeland to organize a separate congregation, Rev. J.R. Buchanan led the formal organization of the new church. Its first sanctuary , a frame building, was built nearby in 1891.
In 1927 the Gillisonville Methodist Church , organized in 1886, merged with St. Paul's. The sanctuary, across the street from the original church site, was built in 1949 as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. William J. Ellis and was renovated in 1990. Six members of St.Paul's later became Methodist ministers: Revs. Robert Drew, Leroy Dyches, Elton Hendricks, Carolyn Malphrus, James Thompson, and Robert Way
Erected 2003 by Members and Friends of St. Paul's Methodist Church. (Marker Number 27-23.)
Location. 32° 28.925′ N, 80° 59.107′ W. Marker is in Ridgeland, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 336), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7488 West Main Street, Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ridgeland (about 800 feet away); Gopher Tortoise Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 1.4 miles away); Grahamville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Euhaw Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgeland.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.