Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Crescent Meat Co.

1905 – 1968

 
 
Crescent Meat Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
1. Crescent Meat Co. Marker
Inscription. Jacob Zwang was born in Sennefeld, Baden Germany and migrated to the United States in 1896 at the age of 16 years. He arrived at 2:00 o’clock in the morning and was met by his uncle Moses Levy, and cousin Albert Levy. This was the start of a partnership that lasted more that (sic) sixty-eight years. They ran a butcher shop in Visalia until 1900 when they moved their business to Laton to take advantage of growing trade afforded by the settlers of a large Spanish land grant. In 1905, Jake Zwang made an exploratory visit to the settlement known as Coalinga. The area had long produced large herds of cattle and flocks of sheep. There was some dry farming, but the big attraction was the booming oilfields.
The Levy’s and Jake Zwang bought the Coalinga Market and Crescent Market from the four pioneer Kreyenhagen Bros. in 1905. They moved their business into a new brick building. In 1906, the Levy’s and Zwang incorporated under the name Crescent Meat Company, and continued in the business of raising, butchering and selling meat. The three partners all holding equal shares; Moses Levy, Pres., Albert Levy, Director and Manager, and Jacob Zwang, Vice Pres.
In 1912 the Crescent Meat Co. combined interests with the Hays Cattle Co. operating in the Coalinga area, The Avenal Ranch and the Hays Ranch in Yavapai County, Arizona. This association
Crescent Meat Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
2. Crescent Meat Co. Marker
lasted until 1953 when holdings were divided. In 1938 the Crescent ceased the operation of the meat market. Robert Zwang and Marion Ellis, grandsons of Albert Levy acquired this business. They continued the market for a number of years and then the building was taken over by George Lacy to have a larger floor space to accommodate his popular restaurant. It remained Lacey’s Cafe until the earthquake of 1983.
 
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
 
Location. 36° 8.374′ N, 120° 21.614′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of North 5th Street and West Elm Street, on the left when traveling north on North 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 197 North 5th Street, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Earthquake of 1983 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bordagaray’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Webb Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 5th Street, Coalinga 1912 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredrick Tibbits and Louis O’Neill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A.P. May Inc. (about 400 feet away); Sullivan Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement