Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Nassau Inn – 1756 - 1937
The original “Nassau Inn” stood on this site for nearly 200 years. Many of America’s early statesmen stopped overnight in this half-way house on the stage coach journey between New York and Philadelphia. At times as many as thirty coaches left this inn during a single day.
Much of its early American atmosphere was preserved when Nassau Inn was rebuilt on Palmer Square in 1937.
Erected by Historical Society of Princeton, New Jersey.
Location. 40° 20.962′ N, 74° 39.675′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of Nassau Street and Palmer Square, on the right when traveling west on Nassau Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 250th Anniversary of Princeton University (a few steps from this marker); March of the Mill Children (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church of Princeton (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathaniel Fitz Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker); The President’s House English Boxwood Plants (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named 250th Anniversary of Princeton University (about 500 feet away); Princeton WW2 Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on January 8, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on April 4, 2013. 6. submitted on April 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.