Near Smithville in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1948 by Archives, Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number D-16.)
Location. 34° 4.149′ N, 77° 57.389′ W. Marker is near Smithville, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on River Road SE (U.S. 133) just north of Plantation Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arthur Dobbs (a few steps from this marker); Brunswick (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Anderson (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orton Plantation (approx. half a mile away); St. Philips Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 1.7 miles away); Russelborough (approx. 1.7 miles away); Brunswick Town State Historic Site (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
More about this marker. This marker was previously located 12 miles further north on this same road, near Belville. Photograph 3 shows it
Also see . . . The Town of Brunswick. “In the lobby [of the visitors center] is a colorful mural created by Claude Howell and Catherine Hendricksen depicting a scene from a Spanish attack on the town in 1748. A cannon on display was recovered from the river in 1986 and is believed to be from the Spanish ship Fortuna, which blew up in the river as the townspeople regained control of the port.” (Submitted on March 20, 2008.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,371 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on March 14, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.