Gleeson in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Historic Gleeson Jail
1910 - Jail
—Gleeson, Arizona —
Primarily a mining town, Gleeson's fortunes largely rose and fell with the price of copper. When the mines shut down in 1958, most of Gleeson disappeared as well, leaving only a handful of town residents, and a few nearby ranchers. Renovation began in October of 2008, and the building serves as a center for area research and community gatherings.
Erected by Gleeson Arizona Historians.
Location. 31° 43.929′ N, 109° 49.764′ W. Marker is in Gleeson, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Lonesome Road and West Gleeson Road, on the right when traveling south on North High Lonesome Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Elfrida AZ 85610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers Soldiers Hole (approx. 6.4 miles away); Old Pearce Post Office (approx. 12 miles away); Chief Cochise (approx. 15.4 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 6, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.