Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Elm Grove Stone Bridge

 
 
Elm Grove Stone Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 27, 2006
1. Elm Grove Stone Bridge Marker
Inscription. Built in 1817 by Moses Shepherd, a prominent Ohio Countian, as part of the National Road. Constructed of uncoursed limestone, but covered by concrete in 1958, it is the oldest extant three span elliptical arch bridge in the state. Also known as “Monument Place Bridge” due to the nearby memorial built to Henry Clay for Shepherd in honor of his support for National Road construction.
 
Erected 1982 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 40° 2.618′ N, 80° 39.519′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of National Road (U.S. 40) and Wheeling and Elm Glove Boulevard (West Virginia Route 88), on the right when traveling west on National Road. Touch for map. Heading west, National Road (and U.S. 40) makes a right turn at this intersection. Route 88 continues straight ahead. The left is for Kruger Street. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Monument Place” (within shouting distance of this marker); Forks of Wheeling Creek
Elm Grove Stone Bridge and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 27, 2006
2. Elm Grove Stone Bridge and Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jesse Lee Reno (approx. one mile away); The Madonna of the Trail (approx. one mile away); The National Pike (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Madonna of the Trail (approx. one mile away); State’s Birthplace (approx. one mile away); The Defenders of the Union (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
 
Regarding Elm Grove Stone Bridge. According to the National Register Nomination form, The Elm Grove bridge is the oldest extant bridge in West Virginia. "For a number of years it was thought by state and local organizations that the Van Metre Stone Arch Bridge in Berkeley County ... was West Virginia's oldest extant bridge. Information to that effect appeared in newspaper accounts over the years. There is no doubt, however that the Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge is the state's oldest extant bridge, having been constructed in 1817 in conjunction with the National Road project. The apparent reason that the Elm Grove Bridge was overlooked for many years is that it was gunited
Elm Grove Stone Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 27, 2007
3. Elm Grove Stone Bridge Marker
in 1958 and, thus, camouflaged, so to speak, as a concrete bridge." -- National Register Nomination form, footnote 1.
 
Also see . . .
1. Photo of Bridge. (Submitted on December 9, 2006.)
2. Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge. "Monument Place Bridge", National Register Nomination Form. (Submitted on April 9, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles
 
South face of the Elm Grove bridge image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, September 22, 2007
4. South face of the Elm Grove bridge
North face of the bridge image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, September 22, 2007
5. North face of the bridge
Elm Grove Stone Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 27, 2007
6. Elm Grove Stone Bridge
Stone Voussoirs image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 27, 2007
7. Stone Voussoirs
National Road era (1817) limestone voussoirs peeking out of the Route 40 era (1958) sprayed concrete (gunite) sheathing.
An Elliptical Arch image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 27, 2007
8. An Elliptical Arch
Henry Clay Monument image. Click for full size.
9. Henry Clay Monument
The "nearby memorial" "Erected in 1820 by Moses Shepherd and his wife Lydia to commemorate the distinguished public services of Henry Clay in behalf of the National Pike. Built of freestone and is twenty feet high. Time has effaced the inscriptions except on the east side. The Shepherd mansion built in 1798 is on a nearby eminence." -- Souvenir of Wheeling (1905).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,116 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on April 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on April 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4, 5. submitted on March 19, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   6, 7, 8. submitted on April 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   9. submitted on April 9, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement