Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Woerner World Missions Center
Shortly after fire destroyed Haddock Inn, God gave Richard and Evelyn Forrest another sign that He would restore what had been lost. Rev. Forrest wrote an article that was published in the Alliance Weekly newsletter explaining what had happened and asking for prayer. When Karl Woerner received his copy, he was distressed. That night during his family's devotions, they talked about the tragedy and prayed for the school. Then the children went to bed. However, a few minutes later, the two youngest boys, Gustav (Gus) and Carl, came back downstairs and told their father they had come to a decision. They wanted to give the money they have been saving to buy a bicycle to Toccoa Falls instead. The amount was $18 - a collections of pennies, nickles, and dimes
"What about your bicycle, boys," their father asked. "We'll start over," they replied. Karl Woerner took his sons' money and sent it to Rev. Forrest, who always viewed that $18 as sacred. This was the beginning of a long relationship between the Woerner family and Toccoa Falls College - one that continues today.
Gus and his wife Pauline served more than 20 years as missionaries to South China, Indonesia, and Malaysia. Later they became members of the faculty and staff of Toccoa Falls Institute. While Carl never became a missionary, he supported Toccoa Falls
On March 29, 1996, the Woerner World Missions Center was dedicated in the memory of Fred Woerner, another brother who also was a faithful supporter of Toccoa Falls, and to "Uncle" Gus Woerner for the purpose of equipping Christian servant leaders around the world.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the "Uncle Gus" Woerner family and Ruth (Woerner) Good's College Class of 1950.
Erected 2007 by "Uncle Gus" Woerner family and Ruth (Woerner) Good's College Class of 1950.
Location. 34° 35.583′ N, 83° 21.45′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Bandy Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dining Hall & Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Stewart Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Earl Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ring Music Hall (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.