Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Fire Protection Shed in front of you was used to store equipment such as hoses, fire extinguishers, and tools for fighting fires. Fire was always a danger at the airfield because of the flammable materials used in airplanes and the fuels stored on site.
[Background photo caption reads] In 1941 a fire damaged the Bath and Locker House. Imagine what could have happened if this fire had spread to the fuel tanks nearby.
[Inset photo caption reads] The Physical Plant Director demonstrates the proper use of a fire extinguisher to the chief guard and his assistant, 1944. Fire-fighting equipment demonstrations were a regular part of the safety program at Moton Field.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 32° 27.435′ N, 85° 40.843′ W. Marker is in Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site, Alabama, in Macon County. Touch for map. Marker is on the national historic site grounds at Moton Field, 1616 Chappie James Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Tuskegee AL 36083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hangar No. 1 (a few steps from this marker); Ghost Structures (a few steps from this marker); A Bit to Eat (within Waiting for the Bus (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil Storage Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); New Vistas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Place Where We Learned to Fly (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bath and Locker House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site.
Also see . . .
1. Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site. (Submitted on April 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. (Submitted on April 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.