Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bell

 
 
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
1. The Bell Marker
Inscription.
Dr. Richard Forrest served as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Toccoa, Georgia, from 1925-1950. When the original framed church building was torn down and a new sanctuary built in 1926, members of the church's congregation agrees to donate the bell from the old belfry to Toccoa Falls Institute.

Today, it sits quietly in the center of campus, but for many years, it played an important role in the day-to-day activities of the college. It rang to signal the change of classes - from the "rising bell" in the morning until the "lights out" bell at night. after the installation of the automatic signal system on campus, the old bell became a "victory bell" for athletic games.

On November 6, 1977, after nearly five days of continual rain, the dam above Toccoa Falls failed and an estimated 176 million gallons of water surged through a narrow creek bed and toward the sleeping campus of Toccoa Falls. Those on the lower campus had little time to react to the danger. Students immediately rushed to the center of campus and began ringing the bell in an effort to wake those who were sleeping. By the early 1980s, the bell had been a part of list at Toccoa Falls for more than 50 years. College officials decided it was time to retire the bell in an effort to prevent mischievous students from ringing it in the early morning
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
2. The Bell Marker
hours.

This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the High School Class of 1954.
 
Erected 2007 by Toccoa High School Class of 1954.
 
Location. 34° 35.617′ N, 83° 21.45′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker can be reached from Bandy Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Earl Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Woerner World Missions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Stewart Hall (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
Categories. Education
 
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
3. The Bell Marker
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
4. The Bell Marker
The Bell image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
5. The Bell
Cast by Henry McChane & Co
Baltimore, MD
1886
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement