Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Grand Opera House
Building has copper roof and corbeled bay window tower; had ornate stage and auditorium.
Now owned by former U.S. Vice President John Nance Garner and his son, Tully Garner.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2249.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 29° 12.623′ N, 99° 47.202′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of North Getty Street (U.S. 83) and West North Street, on the right when traveling south on North Getty Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 W North St, Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kincaid Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County (within shouting distance of Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Texas Wagon Yards (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Reading Wood Black (about 500 feet away); Judge John Nance Garner (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.