Bridgeton in Cumberland County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Broad Street Presbyterain Church
The building’s only known alteration consists of the installation of the chimney and heating stoves in 1809. No electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems have ever been installed. Among the many notables buried in the cemetery, which has been in use since 1792, are one of the first U.S Senators from New Jersey, and an early governor of the State.
In 2009, the roof structure was restored and the wood shingle roof was replaced, funded in part by the Garden State Preservation Trust, administrated by the New Jersey Historic Trust/State of New Jersey. Listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places, 1973. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1974.
1791 Land donated by the son of a Quaker
1792 October: Congregation applies for recognition from the Presbytery as a separate congregation. December: Construction of the walls and roof completed.
1794 Funding raised by conducting a state-approved lottery. Spring: Construction resumes with Ezekiel Foster, carpenter. 1795 Dedication service held May 17th.
1797 Murder trial of John Patterson held here. 1798 Board fence erected around the graveyard.
1799 Painting completed.
1803 “Venetian blinds” installed.
1809 Chimney and heating stoves installed.1836 Congregation moves to new, larger church.
We the inhabitants of Bridge Town & its neighborhood, having hitherto been destitute of a House of publick Worship, & many of us, by reason of our distance from places of Worship, have belonged to no religious Society, & others have only casually joined the different Congregations around us until a Church could be erected in this place, & and being considerably increased in numbers of late, we have judged it expedient, & have agreed by voluntary subscriptions to build a House in Bridge Town for the purpose of publickly meeting theirin to Worship Almighty God according to the Doctrine & forms of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America.—Church Founders, 30 April 1792.
To a large extent, Old Broad Street Church owes it remarkable preservation to its near abandonment in 1836. Because the Presbyterian congregation moved to a new building on the more populous east side of Bridgeton, no “improvements” were made to the burying ground and a growing appreciation of the historic building throughout the twentieth century.
Location. 39° 25.764′ N, 75° 14.718′ W. Marker is in Bridgeton, New Jersey, in Cumberland County. Marker is on West Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgeton NJ 08302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route (approx. 0.7 miles away); Baptist Log Meeting House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Little Stone School (approx. 5½ miles away); Welcome to Greenwich Township Gibbon House (approx. 5.7 miles away); Old Stone Tavern (approx. 5.7 miles away); Hot Tea (approx. 5.7 miles away); Greenwich Tea Burning Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeton.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 274 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.