Three Rivers in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sue Silliman House
Arthur Silliman deeded this property named “Riversbye” to his daughter Sue in 1914. Sue Silliman was Three Rivers librarian and historian for forty-two years. During that time she also served on national, state, and local boards of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Before she died in 1945, she left to the people of this area her papers, the books she wrote including St. Joseph in Homespun, her home, and the memory of a life dedicated to public service.
This brick structure was built in the 1870s by Arthur Silliman, an early pioneer in the area, who came to Three Rivers in 1847. The lower level of the building served as Silliman's blacksmith shop and the upper stories housed his family. Near this site a Potawatomi Indian trail crossed the St. Joseph. The confluence of the St. Joseph, Portage, and Rocky rivers at this site gave Three Rivers its name.
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L400.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 56.614′ N, 85° 37.928′ Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Three Rivers MI 49093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Three Rivers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Legendary Battle (about 700 feet away); Three Rivers Town Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Three Rivers Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); French Trading Post (approx. 0.3 miles away); Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Rivers Civil War Monument (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Three Rivers.
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Silliman Home and Blacksmith Shop. DAR Michigan State Society (Submitted on December 12, 2012.)
2. Early Photo of Silliman House. Date unknown. From the Three Rivers Public Library. (Submitted on July 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.