Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jones in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Poe's Corners

 
 
Poe's Corners Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2012
1. Poe's Corners Marker
Inscription. In 1835, George Poe (1779-1851) emigrated from Crawford County, Ohio, and settled on land deeded to him by the U.S. government. Within two years he acquired 520 acres of land in Newberg Township. Many members of the Poe family settled in this vicinity, and it became known as the Poe Neighborhood and Poe's Corners. In 1838 the first recorded burial, that of Rachel Everhart, occurred in Poe's Cemetery, located on one corner of George Poe's farm. The First Regular Baptist Church of Newberg, also known as Poe's Church, was organized in 1841; a church was erected in 1858. School District No. 2, known as Poe's School, was created in 1856. In 1957 the school district merged with the Marcellus School District; the school building became the Newberg Township Hall in 1958.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1817C.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 55.561′ N, 85° 49.146′ W. Marker is near Jones, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Born Street and Patterson Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on Born Street. Touch for map. Marker is at the northwest
Poe's Corners Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2012
2. Poe's Corners Marker
Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection
of Born St and Patterson Hill Rd
corner of intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13020 Born St, Jones MI 49061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birch Lake Meeting House (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 5 miles away); Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Honor Roll War Veterans of Marcellus and Vicinity (approx. 7 miles away); Honor Roll of War Veterans of Marcellus and Vicinity (approx. 7 miles away); The Underground Railway (approx. 7.2 miles away); Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Mottville Bridge (approx. 9.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The sign underneath the marker states, "Donated by past and present residents and Poe descendants".
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Poe's School built in 1856 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2012
3. Poe's School built in 1856
Poe's Corners formed by the intersection of Born St and Patterson Hill Rd image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2012
4. Poe's Corners formed by the intersection of Born St and Patterson Hill Rd
Burial Place of George Poe and Wife image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 25, 2012
5. Burial Place of George Poe and Wife
In Poe's Cemetery located at northeast corner of Poe's Corners
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   5. submitted on July 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement