Colon in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Colon / Harry Blackstone
Known as the “Magic Capital of the World,” this small town has gained widespread recognition for the invention and manufacture of magic tricks. Colon's reputation as a magic mecca began after Australian Percy Abbott visited the famous American magician Harry Blackstone who lived in this area. Abbott subsequently returned to Colon and started the Abbott Magic Novelty Company in 1933. Mainly a mail-order operation, the company continues to devise tricks which baffle the human eye and mind. In 1934 Abbott sponsored the first “Magic Get-Together,” now an annual event attracting thousands of professional and amateur devotees. Blackstone himself as well as other famous conjurers have performed at these festivals.
One of America's most notable magicians, Harry Blackstone (1885-1965), lived in Colon. Born Harry Bouton, he began his professional wizardry career at the age of sixteen in his native city of Chicago. Blackstone's fame grew in the first three decades of the twentieth century when magic shows were a staple of vaudeville and Broadway. During World War II millions of servicemen watched him perform at gatherings of the USO (United Service Organizations). His shows often included the “dancing”
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L526.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 57.568′ N, 85° 19.621′ W. Marker is in Colon, Michigan, in Saint Joseph County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West State Street and St. Joseph Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located in Colon Community Park. Marker is in this post office area: Colon MI 49040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leonidas Civil War Monument (approx. 5 miles away); Mendon World War II Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Chicago Road (approx. 8.4 miles away); Riley Dam & Trail End (approx. 8.7 miles away); Bronson Public Library Langley Covered Bridge (approx. 10.4 miles away); Centreville Civil War Monument (approx. 10.4 miles away); Culbertson Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was relocated from 128 S. Blackstone Ave to Colon Community Park in 2010.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.