Sterling in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Loudoun County / Fairfax County
Area 519 Square Miles
Formed in 1757 from Fairfax, and named for Lord Louduon, titular Governor of Virginia, and head of the British Forces in America, 1756-1758. Oak Hill, President James Monroe’s home, is in this county.
Area 417 Square Miles
Formed in 1742 from Prince William and Loudoun, and named for Lord Fairfax, proprietor of the Northern Neck. Mount Vernon, George Washington’s home, is in this county.
Erected 1934 by Conservation & Development Government Commission. (Marker Number Z-143.)
Location. 39° 0.927′ N, 77° 22.397′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Harry Byrd Highway [Leesburg Pike] (Virginia Route 7) west of Dranesville Road (Virginia Route 228), in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46990 Harry Byrd Hwy, Sterling VA 20164, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Dranesville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.2 miles away); "The Ankerage" Ambush at Ankers's Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vestal's Gap Road in the 1800s (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lanesville House and Vestal's Gap Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lanesville Outbuildings (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lanesville Families (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 323 times since then. Last updated on April 20, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.