Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Heavy Artillery at Yorktown
In October 1781, Lord Cornwallis deployed 244 brass and iron pieces of various calibers against some 150 cannon, howitzers and mortars in the American and French arsenals. At the height of the siege, Allied artillery fired as many as 1,500 rounds each day, more than one round per minute. The British were forced to surrender.
During the Civil War, Confederate troops armed Yorktown’s bluffs with heavy artillery. Union General George McClellan highly over estimated their strength and prepared for a “second Siege of Yorktown.” After exchanging fire throughout April 1862, in May the Confederates left and Union troops moved in to occupy the same positions.
Erected 2010 by York County.
Location. 37° 14.331′ N, 76° 30.492′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker can be reached from Touch for map. Located along Yorktown's Riverwalk. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown VA 23690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wars & Yorktown (here, next to this marker); The Olympic Flame (within shouting distance of this marker); Kiskiak Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Institute of Marine Science (within shouting distance of this marker); N.S. Savannah (within shouting distance of this marker); Nick's Seafood Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington and Francois De Grasse (within shouting distance of this marker); George P. Coleman Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
More about this marker. Cannon surrendered during the 1781 siege were stamped to denote their significance. Photo courtesy of York County.
Photo of Union artillery courtesy of Library of Congress.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.