Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
York River Ferry
Two women, Janet Mitchell and Mary Gibbons of Yorktown, managed the ferry business in 1774. They advised “Gentlemen who cross to pay their Ferriages at the Swan Tavern” and they also assured customers reading the April 1 issue of the Virginia Gazette that “the Ferry shall be kept inferiour to none in the Colony.”
The first ferries were powered by men using oars. Later, a cable was used to pull boats across. The invention of the internal combustion engine meant boats could motor across the channel. When the George P. Coleman Bridge opened in 1952, the Virginia Department of Transportation discontinued ferry service in this location.
Erected 2010 by York County.
Location. 37° 14.365′ N, 76° 30.585′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker can be reached from Water Street west of Buckner Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located along Yorktown's
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chesapeake Bay Watermen (here, next to this marker); George P. Coleman Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Yorktown's Tea Party (within shouting distance of this marker); The Betsy (within shouting distance of this marker); Aviation Field Yorktown (within shouting distance of this marker); Yorktown's Windmill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Watermen's Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Join the Adventure (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
More about this marker. Last day of service of the York River Ferry, May 7, 1952.
Photo courtesy of the Watermen’s Museum.
Image courtesy of Bonnie and Jerry Karwac, Jr.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.