Near Winnabow in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Philips Church
Erected 1954 by the Archives Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number D-55.)
Location. 34° 3.773′ N, 77° 57.935′ W. Marker is near Winnabow, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road (State Highway 133) and Plantation Road, on the left when traveling south on River Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orton Plantation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spanish Attack (approx. 0.7 miles away); Arthur Dobbs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Brunswick (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Anderson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 1.6 miles away); Russelborough (approx. 1.6 miles away); John LaPierre (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnabow.
More about this marker. This marker was originally erected at 34° 3.8′ N, 77° 57.491′ W, at the entrance to the Orton Plantation Gardens, now permanently closed.
Regarding St. Philips Church.
Also see . . . St. Philip’s Anglican Church. “St. Philips Church was begun in 1754. It was completed in 1768. It was seventy-six feet long by fifty-three feet wide. At the time of its completion, it was the finest Anglican church in the colonies.” (Submitted on March 22, 2008.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,967 times since then and 160 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.