Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Elementary School

 
 
The Elementary School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
1. The Elementary School Marker
Inscription.
After Haddock Inn was destroyed by fire, one of the first structures constructed was a building the Forrests called "The Board shack." In Achieving The Impossible with God, Dr. Forrest said, "It was an old shack - a shanty-like structure with boards up and down, battens over the cracks, no lining at all, and a great big wood stove for heat." At first, it served as the living quarters for the Forrests and some of the women students.

By 1914, Mrs. Forrest, had noted the lack of educational opportunities for the children in the Toccoa Falls community. Though there had been a very primitive "school house" called Soapstone School located about a mile northeast of campus, it had closed due to the lack of teachers. Mrs. Forrest became determined to start a school, and by 1915, she had achieved her goal. She taught classes at the elementary school as well as at the college. She was joined by Alice Larson, who later became the school's principal. (She is pictured on the left with a group of elementary students.)

Years later the county assumed responsibility for the elementary school and moved it into a white-framed structure where the present building now stands. This wooden building was eventually replaced by a brick structure and became a county elementary school. In 1983, the Stephens County Board of
The Elementary School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
2. The Elementary School Marker
Education deeded the building back to the college. It was then renovated for college classes.

This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. donated in memory of Mae Acree Wheeler by family and community friends.
 
Erected 2007 by Mae Acree Wheeler Family and Community Friends.
 
Location. 34° 35.65′ N, 83° 21.167′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Toccoa Falls Lane and Guy Wilson Road on Old Toccoa Falls Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas H. White Photo Lab (here, next to this marker); Toccoa Falls College World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ralls Dormitory & Broom Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Earl Hall (approx. mile away); LeTourneau Hall (approx. mile away); The Bell (approx. mile away); The Tents (approx. mile away); Administration Building (approx. mile away); Woerner World Missions Center (approx. mile away); Dining Hall & Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
Categories. Education
 
The Elementary School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
3. The Elementary School and Marker
Toccoa Falls Grammer School Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
4. Toccoa Falls Grammer School Cornerstone
Rebuilt 1934
Community P.W.A.
County Board
of Education
W.J. Andrews, C.S.S.
Trustees
S.O. Kesler, Chm.
Jim Scott, Kelley Barnes
Mrs. R.A. Forrest
Organizer 1912
& First Teacher
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement