Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Little by Little
The Hanover House was built in 1716 in Berkeley County, S.C. for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien. St. Julien honored his French heritage in the mortar of one chimney by inscribing "Pue a Pue" from the French proverb "Little by Little the bird builds its nest." For nearly 150 years, the home remained in the St. Julien and Ravenel (St. Julien's daughter married a Ravenel) families.
Threatened with flooding by Lake Moultrie in 1941, Clemson University, home of the state's architectural school, preserved Hanover House. After being placed on Clemson's campus, the building was relocated to the S.C. Botanical Garden in 1994.
Th Spartanburg Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America furnished Hanover House with 18th and 19th-century artifacts. Hanover House museum is restored as a monument to early French Huguenot colonial architecture and interests the lifestyles of Lowcountry South Carolina.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 40.517′ N, 82° 49.067′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Hanover Circle, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29634, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Hanover House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hanover House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hayden Conference Center (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hunt Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Luther W. Baxter (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Camellia Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hosta Garden Donors (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Charles and Betty Cruickshank Hosta Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away); The T.L. Senn Horticultural Gardens (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 25, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.